Popular Posts

Tuesday, November 4, 2014

I remember that


I’ve been working on a new story set on the farm/ranchland reminiscent of where I grew up in South Dakota, and just as I was debating with myself on how to properly describe a particular setting, we had an overnight rainfall. 

I was suddenly reminded me of rainfall on our farm and how a slough located between the main pasture and our farmyard would smell just after those rains.  I was surprised how the thought of that distinctive pungent odor came rushing back to me – and how quickly it gave me a couple of ideas to use in the descriptive parts of my new story.

 
When you’re writing consider what feelings and emotions a smell evokes, especially if you are using it as a literary device. Smell can both conjure associations with particular events or about general thoughts or emotions. 

Is the smell startling or jarring? Soothing or comforting? Earthy or natural? Chemical or antiseptic?
Smell is often strongly associated with memories.  And while, as a writer, this may only be useful to you personally – I think it’s still going to be a good way to help advance the story.  At the very least, jot down the remembrance in your notes or in your journal.  You never know when it might come in handy.  And…happy writing. 
 

Share A Writer's Moment with a friend by clicking on the g+1 button below

No comments:

Post a Comment