Popular Posts

Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Ah, the plot thickens


Essentially and most simply put, plot is what the characters do to deal with the situation they are in.  It is a logical sequence of events that grow from an initial incident that alters the status quo of the characters.” – Elizabeth George

Elizabeth George

I was in a discussion yesterday with another writer about how to set up a plot, and essentially we both agreed that whatever devices work best to advance the story while staying within the boundaries first set for the story best sets the plot.  So I came home and searched for Elizabeth George, who develops a plot as well as – if not better than – any writer in any genre.  Hers, of course, is in the mystery world, and in particular revolves around her Inspector Lynley.

I’ve heard through the grapevine that she’s exploring a series of books for Young Adults, and I hope that is true, because developing stories that will bring in the next generation of readers is crucial to the writing world.  I can think of few other writers today who I’d put at the forefront of tackling such a task.

I highly commend to you any of her books, especially to those seeking ideas on how a plot can cleverly draw readers along a path that you've set up for them.  And, happy writing!


Share A Writer’s Moment with a friend by clicking the g+1 button below.

No comments:

Post a Comment