Popular Posts

Thursday, October 20, 2016

Flexing that 'writing muscle'


“Writing is a muscle that needs to be exercised.” – Nikki Grimes

Born this date in 1950, Grimes has authored many books for children and young adults.  Growing up in Harlem, she said, "Books were my survival tools. They were how I got by, and how I coped with things. Books carried me away."

Also a poet and journalist, her interests and talents are as widely diverse as her writing skills, including award-winning photography, fiber art, and beading.

On the board of directors for the National Children's Book and Literacy Alliance, her work has earned her honors and recognition from a number of prestigious organizations including the NCTE Award for Excellence in Poetry for Children, and (a remarkable 4 times) the Coretta Scott King Author Award for her fiction – Bronx Masquerade, Dark Sons, The Road to Paris, and Talkin’ About Bessie.
“Originally I had planned to write just a couple      
 of children's books and then, return the focus on adult literature,” she noted.  “(But) A funny thing happened along the way - I kept having new ideas, and then I looked up one day, and 30 years had passed!”




Share A Writer’s Moment with a friend by clicking the g+1 button below.

No comments:

Post a Comment