Popular Posts

Monday, January 9, 2017

Reading, thinking and writing


“I like to do the research of history and the creativity of writing fiction. I am creating this thing which I think is twice as difficult as writing either history or fiction.” – Philippa Gregory
 
Born on this date in 1954, Gregory is the English historical novelist best known for her award-winning novels (and cinematic pieces) The Other Boleyn Girl and The White Queen.    While she has a Ph.D. in 18th century literature and has written novels set in several different historical periods, her primary focus has been on the 16th century and the Tudors. 
Gregory said she sometimes feels that her genre choice                 
 isn't highly regarded, but she likes writing it and has drawn a devoted following for her many works (over 70 so far).  She also is a frequent contributor to magazines and newspapers with her short stories, features and reviews, and a regular on the BBC where she actually started her writing career after studying at a journalism school.  But it is in historical fiction that she has immersed herself.

“I love reading and I love thinking,” she said.  “The reason that I love my books so much is that in order to write them I have to read and to think for years at a time about the same period of time.”

Share A Writer’s Moment with a friend by clicking the g+1 button below.

No comments:

Post a Comment