Popular Posts

Thursday, June 29, 2017

Writing was the bond


“My dad was an adventurer, my mother a romantic. When they met in college, both were creative writers; the writing was a bond.” – Brian Herbert

Brian Herbert is the son of science fiction author Frank Herbert, (author of the Dune series), and Beverly Stuart (author of many romance novels and stories).  Born on this date in 1947, he didn’t naturally gravitate to writing despite those deep writing roots.

“I didn't actually get along with my dad when I was growing up,” Brian said, “so by the time I was in my 20s, I didn't think I was going to be a writer.”    But, luckily for the writing (and reading) world, he changed his mind and since then has become as important a writer as his parents.  Now the author of multiple New York Times bestsellers, he has won several literary honors and been nominated       for the highest awards in science fiction. In 2003, he published Dreamer of Dune, a moving biography of his father – a Hugo Award finalist. 

Brian’s other acclaimed novels include Sidney's Comet, Man of Two Worlds (written with his father), and Sudanna Sudanna, and 12 Dune series novels co-authored with Kevin J. Anderson.

He said he finally decided to get into writing at the urging of his writer wife Jan.  “My wife noticed that I wrote really good complaint letters about faulty products and that I could get anything I wanted out of these big corporations,” he explained.  “She said that I was a good writer and that I should go to my dad and ask him for help.”   He did and the rest is history.

Share A Writer’s Moment with a friend by clicking the g+1 button below.

No comments:

Post a Comment