Popular Posts

Monday, September 18, 2017

Loving (and writing) the unexplainable


“I love the unexplainable. It would be so boring to me if everything could be explained.” Nancy Pickard

Born in Kansas City on this date in 1945, Nancy Pickard is the only author to ever win all four major crime/mystery writing awards – the Macavity (5 times), the Agatha (4 times), and the Anthony and Shamus Awards (once each).   She also has served on the board of directors of the Mystery Writers of America – all after starting her writing career after age 35. 

A journalist first – with a degree from the prestigious U. of Missouri Journalism School – she spent time as a journalistic writer, making her home in the Kansas City area.  “I've lived in Kansas for more than thirty years, and for half of those, I was part of a ranching family,” she said.  “So I'm writing about things I know and love.”      
                          Among her best-known books are the award winners I.O.U., The Virgin of  Small Plains, and Say No To Murder.   From her lengthy list of terrific short stories, I’d recommend “There Is No Crime on Easter Island.”  When you finish you’ll be wanting more

Pickard now makes her home in Prairie Village, a “close-in” KC suburb, “… where there's a feeling of everybody knowing everybody else. I think the same thing is true of New York City, by the way.”


Share A Writer’s Moment with a friend by clicking the g+1 button below.

No comments:

Post a Comment