Popular Posts

Monday, August 13, 2018

A Unique Writing Formula


“If you only write when inspired, you may be a fairly decent poet, but you'll never be a novelist.” – Neil Gaiman

English author of short fiction, novels, comic books, graphic novels, audio theatre and films, Gaiman's work The Ocean at the End of the Lane was voted 2014 Book of the Year in the British National Book Awards.  The story follows an unnamed man who returns to his hometown for a funeral and remembers events that began 40 years earlier.

A prolific (to say the least) writer, Gaiman has won some 100 top writing awards and is also one of the top speakers on writing, traveling the world to talk about the hows, wheres and whys of his craft. 

And he found an interesting way to get into the writing world, working as a journalist and focusing on reading and reviewing other writers’ books, all the while studying what made their work great and why he might like to try to attempt something like it himself. Thus, his "style" incorporates a sort-of "best of" look.   
                                                      "I always was a reader. I loved reading. Reading things gave me pleasure. I was very good at most subjects in school, not because I had any particular aptitude in them, but because normally on the first day of school they'd hand out schoolbooks, and I'd read them—which would mean that I'd know what was coming up, because I'd read it."  





Share A Writer’s Moment with a friend by clicking the g+1 button below

No comments:

Post a Comment