Popular Posts

Tuesday, November 19, 2019

That 'What's Next?' Syndrome

"So what are you doing next?”  It’s kind of a weird question most writers face, that “What’s next on your list?” question.

Even though I just finished the long process of writing another novel (and, believe me, it’s a long process), the pressure’s on, so I’d better start figuring it out.   And, of course, if my new novel flops, then I’ll be the one asking myself what I have next on my list?  Sort-of an act of vindication, I suppose.   

I like writing fiction, once I get going.  It’s just that “get going” part that always gets in the way, so to speak.   Most writers, by nature, procrastinate with their writing because it’s such a draining experience.  You pour everything into the process of bringing your characters and place to life.

“Writing a novel is a terrible experience, during which the hair often falls out and the teeth decay,” Southern writer Flannery O’Connor once said. 
                                                                                   
                                                                                                                   Flannery O’Connor in 1947 
 “I'm always irritated by people who imply that writing fiction is an escape from reality," she said.  "It is a plunge into reality and it's very shocking to the system.”

No comments:

Post a Comment