Popular Posts

Monday, February 10, 2020

Drunk On Words


… I always try to entertain. It's in my nature; writers are born to entertain.” – John Shirley

Born in Texas on this date in 1953, Shirley covers a broad spectrum with his writing – including song lyrics and screenplays – but is best known for his works of fantasy, horror and science fiction.  

Among his many successes are the A Song Called Youth cyberpunk trilogy; a noir-flavored novel of the apocalypse Everything Is Broken; and a novel about Conan Doyle in the afterlife, Doyle After Death.  He also produced a historical novel about Wyatt Earp called Wyatt in Wichita.  In 2018 Shirley's collaboration with rock musician Mark Tremonti led to an adaptation of Tremonti's rock opera “A DYING MACHINE.”    In his prolific career he has authored 40 books, 8 short story collections and dozens of songs, particularly for the rock group Blue Oyster Cult.  

“I get drunk writing words,” he said.  “I don't drink or do drugs, but I get so carried away with writing that I get inebriated from it.”

Share A Writer’s Moment with a friend at http://writersmoment.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment