Popular Posts

Friday, September 1, 2023

Striving for 'the truly original'

 

“I love writing both fiction and memoir. Both have unique challenges; bottom line, fiction is hard because you have to come up with the credible, twisty plot, and memoir is hard because you have to say something true and profound, albeit in a funny way.” – Lisa Scottoline

Born in Philadelphia in 1955, Scottoline started her professional life as a lawyer but switched to writing to earn money from home after the birth of her daughter Francesca.   Instant success.  Her first novel, the legal thriller Final Appeal, won the 1995 Edgar Award for "Best Paperback Original Mystery."

 

Today, she is the author of over 40 novels and 10 nonfiction books (many written in partnership with her daughter).  Her novels have been translated into over two dozen languages and many of her works have reached top ten status on the New York Times Best Seller List.  

 

 “I love writing, I love books, and I love reading,” she said.  “I read anything, including cereal boxes. I care deeply about what people think of my books, and I memorize my reviews.  Every writer, whether it's fiction or nonfiction, is trying to write something truly original, and that's what I think I'm doing.”


No comments:

Post a Comment