Popular Posts

Monday, August 4, 2014

Where do you get your ideas?


I’ve held a lot of jobs and done a lot of volunteering (and volunteering is a great way to do things that give you special experiences).  I’ve been a farmer, meatcutter, worked at a grain elevator and as a crop sprayer.  I was a waiter, been in the Army, coached both boys and girls basketball, been a bookseller, done theatre, played golf, and done public relations and lots and lots of writing.  I've taught creative writing and journalism to students as young as 12 and 13 and as old as 80 (you're never too young -- or old -- to give it a try, despite that saying about old dogs/new tricks)Thus, ideas for a writer really come from the world in which he or she resides.  People often ask writers where they get their ideas?  And I usually want to answer, Where not? because they’re everywhere.   Look around at your life and the people who are surrounding you...and start writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment