Popular Posts

Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Stories to 'excite' the imagination


“I'm attracted to stories that excite my imagination, stories that, as I'm reading the script, I feel it, I can see it, I can hear the characters. I'm attracted to characters that are real, that tap into something inside me that I haven't explored yet.” – Tatiana Maslany

I think Maslany, who grew up in Saskatchewan, Canada, is one of the most interesting young actresses working today.  And to read her quote about what makes a script “real” is a direct correlation to what makes any type of writing interesting and worthy of a reader’s time.

If you haven’t seen Maslany (who’s 30th birthday is today), I highly commend to you the BBC America program “Orphan Black.”  To say that she carries off an amazing transformation in this show is a vast understatement.  And, after watching the Emmy Awards a couple days ago (for which she was nominated for the 3rd straight year as Best Actress) I remain shocked that she has not won multiple awards for her acting.  In it she portrays not one, two or even three characters, but an incredible seven different roles.  And while watching it you are absolutely convinced that these are different people on the screen. 

But, as she rightly says, it’s the terrific writing, by Graeme Manson, that also makes this such an interesting and unusual show.  Both Manson and director John Fawcett – along with Maslany of course – deserve every accolade and award it has received.

“'Orphan Black' allows for people to have debates and theories and allegiances to different characters - to trust characters and hate other characters - but it doesn't tell you who is good or bad or right or wrong,” Tatiana commented.   “That's the most exciting storytelling, in my book.”   Words to chew on – and enjoy.



Share A Writer’s Moment by clicking on the g+1 link below.





No comments:

Post a Comment