Popular Posts

Thursday, September 1, 2016

Writing something 'truly original'


“I love writing both fiction and memoir. Both have unique challenges; bottom line, fiction is hard because you have to come up with the credible, twisty plot, and memoir is hard because you have to say something true and profound, albeit in a funny way.” – Lisa Scottoline

Born in Philadelphia, Scottoline earned an undergraduate degree, as well as a law degree from the University of Pennsylvania and later became a litigator at a law firm there.  After the birth of her daughter she started writing as a way to earn money from home and her first novel, the legal thriller Final Appeal, won the 1995 Edgar Award for "Best Paperback Original Mystery,"

She has since written 14 bestselling novels, including Look Again and Don't Go, both which reached number two on the New York Times Best Seller List.  Her novels have been translated into 25 languages.
 In recent years she’s done a number of “memoir” pieces with humor at the heart of her work, including the bestselling and hilarious Does This Beach Make Me Look Fat?: True Stories and Confessions, with Francesca Serritella.

“I love writing, I love books, and I love reading,” she said.  “I read anything, including cereal boxes. I care deeply about what people think of my books, and I memorize my reviews. (And) I love to hear from my readers.                          

“Every writer, whether it's fiction or nonfiction, is trying to write something truly original, and that's what I think I'm doing.”

Share A Writer’s Moment with a friend by clicking the g+1 button below.

No comments:

Post a Comment