Popular Posts

Wednesday, April 19, 2017

'The great feeling' of picking the right word

“I like playing around with the words; I love it when I feel like I've picked the exact right word to describe whatever it is I'm trying to describe. ”– Margaret Haddix
  
Born on this date in 1964, Ohioan Margaret Haddix is perhaps best known for her children's book series, Shadow Children (1998–2006) and The Missing (2008-2015). She also wrote Into The Gauntlet,  the tenth volume in the Scholastic Books series The 39 Clues.

A graduate of Miami University in Ohio where she studied English, writing and history, Haddix started her career as a newspaper reporter and it was her work as a reporter that inspired her to write fiction. After documenting a wide variety of topics, she said, she wanted to create her own plots and characters. 
“It's just so much fun to make up characters,                          
situations, and everything else about a story,” Haddix said.  “I have so much freedom and flexibility to do whatever I want.”     Now the author of more than 30 books for children and teens, she is the winner of the International Reading Association Children's Book Award.

While her professional career began as a reporter, she said it was always in the back of her mind to be a creative writer.  “I loved to read when I was a kid, and as soon as I realized that an actual person got to make up the books I loved so much, I decided that that was the job for me.”



Share A Writer’s Moment with a friend by clicking the g+1 button below.
Do your bit to save humanity from lapsing back into barbarity by reading all the novels you can.
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/r/richard_hughes.html

No comments:

Post a Comment