Popular Posts

Tuesday, September 11, 2018

A Writing Life Without Regret


“I want to live my life so that my nights are not full of regrets.” – D.H. Lawrence

Born in England on this date in 1885, David Herbert Lawrence said he had few regrets from his writing life.  He rose from poverty as the son of nearly illiterate parents to become one of the best-known writers of the 20th Century.   While he earned both renown and condemnation for such novels as Sons and Lovers, Women in Love, and Lady Chatterley's Lover, he also was a prolific poet and wrote a couple dozen collections of short stories, countless letters and many essays.  His letters also have been gathered into several published volumes.

Life within an industrial setting and the nature of relationships that can be had within such settings were often the hallmarks of Lawrence’s writing, much based on his own “growing up” and young adulthood experiences. 
                                        Among his most praised collections of short stories are The Prussian Officer and Other Stories, and The Woman Who Rode Away and Other Stories, both massive best sellers as were most of his novels.   Constantly at odds with British authorities and critics, he decided to travel and live around the globe, including the U.S.

“I can never decide whether my dreams are the result of my thoughts, “ he mused shortly before his death from tuberculosis at age 44, “or my thoughts the result of my dreams.”


Share A Writer’s Moment with a friend by clicking the g+1 button below

No comments:

Post a Comment