Popular Posts

Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Creative, funny and kind


“An early editor characterized my books as 'romantic comedy for intelligent adults.' I think people see them as funny but kind. I don't set out to write either funny or kind, but it's a voice they like, quirky like me... And you know, people like happy endings.” – Elinor Lipman
  
Born in Massachusetts on this date in 1950, Lipman studied journalism at Simmons College and began her writing career as a college intern with the Lowell (MA) Sun.   Right out of college she was hired to do press releases for Boston television station WGBH, a job she held throughout the 1970s before turning to a creative writing career and never looking back.  Her first book, Into Love and Out Again, featured a collection of her short stories.

She started writing novels in the 1990s and has had great success with them ever since.    Her first novel, Then She Found Me, was also made into a successful movie in 2008, and two more of her books also have been optioned for movies.  Her most recent best seller is 2017’s On Turpentine Lane. 
             Known for her wit and “societal observations,” Lipman also reaches a wide audience through her column, "I Might Complain," written for Parade.com.   Her novel writing advice is simple:  “Five hundred words a day is what I aim for. And I don't go on to the next chapter until I've polished and polished and polished the one I'm working on.” 


Share A Writers Moment with a friend by clicking the g+1 button below

No comments:

Post a Comment