Popular Posts

Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Finding A Pathway To Writing


“Any setting can be a good setting for a novel.” – Chris Pavone

Best-selling author Pavone says there are plenty of paths to becoming a writer . . . “but I think the most reliable ones involve total commitment: writing for magazines and newspapers, teaching writing, editing books, representing authors.”

Born on this date in 1968, Pavone grew up in New York City, where he still makes his home.  He graduated from Cornell University and was a book-publishing editor for nearly two decades before deciding to leave his “editor” pen for a “writer” version.  “I had 12 different job titles in publishing before I typed ‘The End’ at the bottom of a manuscript page,” he said.  “I thought the manuscript was in great shape; I was pretty proud of myself.  Then I sent it to some publishing friends and they tore it apart.”
 
A humbling experience most first-time authors face and from which many don’t recover.  Not Pavone, he took the suggestions to heart, went back to work and produced the multiple-award winning The Expats, a best-selling thriller that has now led to 4 additional books including his newest (published just two months ago), The Paris Diversion, a sequel to Expats 
                                   Pavone said working at publishing houses was a great incubator for his writing because he came into contact with so many great books, ideas and authors.  At the same time he saw the opposite side and was faced with putting a damper on writers’ dreams.  “I spent nearly two decades . . . mostly as an acquisitions editor,” he said.  “But a more accurate title might be rejection editor:  while I acquired maybe a dozen projects a year, I’d reject hundreds upon hundreds.”

“I always wanted to write. But honestly I'm glad I didn't do it back when I was twenty-five or so, when it's now clear to me that I was a very poor writer and could've ruined my career before it even started.”



Share A Writer’s Moment with a friend at http://writersmoment.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment