Popular Posts

Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Expanding That 'Voice' Inside You


“When you come from a family of storytellers, you're doomed. You just have to tell stories.” – Patricia Polacco.

Author and illustrator Polacco was born into that family in Michigan on this date in 1944 and overcame severe dyslexia to become one of America’s most beloved writers of children’s books.  To date she has written more than 60 books and earned multiple awards and accolades – including being inducted into the Author’s Hall of Fame – despite not starting her writing career until age 41.

Among her bestsellers are a book about growing up being unable to read and the kindness and support of a teacher who helped her overcome it. “I believe with all my heart that the American classroom teachers are one of our greatest and most heroic treasures.”  Thank You, Mr. Falker is Polacco's retelling of this encounter and its outcome.  Among her numerous other bestsellers are Mr. Lincoln's Way; The Lemonade Club: and Bully.
           “I have enjoyed a wonderful career of writing books for children,” she said.  “I get my ideas from the same place that you do. . . .my imagination. All of us have a ‘voice’ inside where all inspired thoughts come from. When I talk to children and aspiring writers, I always ask them to turn off the TV and listen to that voice inside them.”



Share A Writer’s Moment with a friend by clicking the g+1 button below

No comments:

Post a Comment