Popular Posts

Saturday, October 3, 2026

'Yes, you know what he means'

 

“People are always giving you credit for really wanting to say more than you said. What you've got to say, you say.” – Shel Silverstein

 

Born in Chicago on Sept. 30, 1930 Silverstein was a poet, singer-songwriter, cartoonist, screenwriter, children’s book author and illustrator, whose works have been translated into 30 languages and sold over 20 million copies.  His best-known book – continuously in print since its publication in 1964 – is The Giving Tree. Silverstein won two Grammy Awards, including one for Johnny Cash’s mega-hit A Boy Named Sue, and one for the song I’m Checking Out.   Among his many award-winning poems are “Where The Sidewalk Ends,” “Clarence Lee From Tennessee,” and “A Light in the Attic.” For Saturday’s Poem, here is Silverstein’s,


     The Little Boy and the Old Man

Said the little boy, "Sometimes I drop my spoon."

                        Said the old man, "I do that too."

 

The little boy whispered, "I wet my pants."

                        "Well, I do that too," laughed the little old man.

 

                        Said the little boy, "I often cry."

                        The old man nodded, "So do I." 

 

"But worst of all," said the boy, "it seems

                        Grown-ups don't pay attention to me.”

 

And he felt the warmth of a wrinkled old hand.

                        "I know what you mean," said the little old man.

No comments:

Post a Comment