Popular Posts

Saturday, October 15, 2022

Inspired by Jazz

 

“Poetry is not easy. Or should I say, real poetry is not easy.” – Robert Pinsky

Pinsky, born on Oct. 20, 1940, is a poet, essayist, literary critic and translator.  One-time Poet Laureate Consultant in Poetry to the Library of Congress, he has authored 20 books, most of which are collections of his poetry.     A one-time jazz musician, Pinsky said his poetry has been inspired by the flow and tension of jazz and the excitement that it made him feel. As a former saxophonist, he has said that being a musician was a profoundly influential experience that he has tried to reproduce in his poetry.

“I don't like to have a calm, orderly, quiet place to work. I often compose while driving, compose in my head. It is true that I wrote my little book, 'The Sounds of Poetry, A Brief Guide,' almost entirely in airplanes and airport departure lounges.”  For Saturday’s Poem, here is Pinsky’s,
 
                            Samurai Song
                        When I had no roof I made
                        Audacity my roof. When I had
                        No supper my eyes dined.

                        When I had no eyes I listened.
                        When I had no ears I thought.
                        When I had no thought I waited.

                        When I had no father I made
                        Care my father. When I had
                        No mother I embraced order.

                        When I had no friend I made
                        Quiet my friend. When I had no
                        Enemy I opposed my body.

                        When I had no temple I made
                        My voice my temple. I have
                        No priest, my tongue is my choir.

                        When I have no means fortune
                        Is my means. When I have
                        Nothing, death will be my fortune.

                        Need is my tactic, detachment
                        Is my strategy. When I had
                        No lover I courted my sleep.



No comments:

Post a Comment