Popular Posts

Saturday, July 25, 2026

Sharing 'everyday hopes and dreams'

 

“I always tell students that writing a poem and publishing it are two quite separate things, and you should write what you have to write, and if you're afraid it's going to upset someone, don't publish it.” –  Wendy Cope

 

Born in England in July of 1945, Cope writes lighthearted, award-winning poetry beloved by a wide following of adults and children alike.  Her latest works are Collected Poems and The Orange and Other Poems, both from 2024.  Cope has been lauded for her poems about everyday English life and the hopes, dreams and frustrations of children.   For Saturday’s Poem here is Cope’s,

                                   The Orange

At lunchtime I brought a huge orange –

The size of it made us all laugh.

I peeled it and shared it with Robert and Dave –

They got quarters, and I had a half.

 

That orange, it made me so happy,

As ordinary things often do

Just lately.  The shopping.  A walk in the park.

This is peace and contentment.  It’s new.

 

The rest of the day was quite easy,

I did all the things on my list

And enjoyed them, and had some time over.

I love you.  I’m glad I exist.

No comments:

Post a Comment