Popular Posts

Thursday, September 17, 2026

Mastering those 'puzzly' plots

 

“The funny thing is, though I write mysteries, it is the one genre in adult fiction I never read.  I read Nancy Drew, of course, when I was a kid, but I think the real appeal is as a writer because I'm drawn to puzzly, complicated plots.” – Elise Broach

  

Born in Georgia on this date in 1963 (she now lives in Connecticut), Broach earned acclaim as a writer of Children’s and YA mystery tales.  Her dozen best-selling titles are led by her award-winning Shakespeare's SecretDesert Crossing, and the Masterpiece series.   Her most recent “Masterpiece” offering is A Trip to the Country for Marvin & James.

 

Broach also has authored 10 Picture Books for young children, including When Dinosaurs Came with Everything, voted a Notable Children's Book by the American Library Association, and My Pet Wants A Pet.   But writing mysteries seems to be at the top of her list.

 

 “I'm most interested in the relationship between the characters,” she said. “I'm trying to create characters who not only are solving a mystery but are solving the riddle of their own personal relationships.”

No comments:

Post a Comment