“I hope
to be remembered for writing books about social justice that also have enough
aesthetic value to endure as works of literature.” – Jonathan
Kozol
Born in
Boston in September of 1936, Kozol is best known for his books on public
education in the United States starting with Death at an Early Age about
his first year as a teacher in the Boston Public Schools. Winner of a National Book Award the book has
been continuously in print since its publication in 1968.selling more than 2
million copies in the U.S. and Europe alone.
A
graduate (with highest honors) from Harvard, he was selected for a Rhodes
Scholarship to Oxford University and then “self-studied” writing with accomplished
authors like William Styron, Richard Wright and other American expatriates
living and writing in Paris at the time.
After
returning to the States he tutored children, worked on his writing technique, and
then did the year teaching that led to his multiple award-winning first
book.
His
book Rachel and Her Children: Homeless Families in America also
earned multiple prizes including the Robert F. Kennedy Book Award and the
Conscience-in-Media Award from the American Society of Journalists and
Authors. Still going strong, he published his 18th book, The
End to Inequality: Breaking Down the Walls of Apartheid Education in America,
in 2024.
“I don't
know if anything I write will endure," Kozol said. "But I do try
to write it as a narrative that will not only challenge but also entice the
reader into the lives of children.”
No comments:
Post a Comment