Popular Posts

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Time to talk


I’ve mentioned before that I really enjoy the poetry of Robert Frost and always have found his work to be inspiring to me as a writer.  Thus, when students say they find poetry “old-fashioned,” I always tell them to take a second and even a third look, because poets take the complicated and make it “digestible” for anyone’s palate.

Poetry has a way of rejuvenating the language and challenging our notions and preconceptions. It aims at creating something equal to the moment.  Every writer should hope for such clarity.  Here’s a neat little poem of Frost’s that I’ve always enjoyed, and that always reminded me of the way my dad would greet a neighbor or passer-by when he was out in his fields.    
A Time to Talk
 
When a friend calls to me from the road
And slows his horse to a meaning walk,
I don't stand still and look around
On all the hills I haven't hoed,
And shout from where I am, 'What is it?'


No, not as there is a time to talk.


I thrust my hoe in the mellow ground,
Blade-end up and five feet tall,
And plod: I go up to the stone wall
For a friendly visit.


If you like A Writer’s Moment, share it with a friend by clicking the g+1 button below

No comments:

Post a Comment