Popular Posts

Saturday, October 31, 2015

That Halloween candy ritual


 

“I'm a great lover of visual art and I will happily discuss the color and texture of Van Gogh's Starry Night. But I can think of nothing on earth so beautiful as the final haul on Halloween night, which, for me, was . . . pounds of candy, a riot of colored wrappers and hopeful fonts, snub-nosed chocolate bars and SweeTARTS, the seductive rattle of Jujyfruits and Good & Plenty and lollipop sticks all akimbo, the foil ends of mini LifeSavers packs twinkling like dimes, and a thick sugary perfume rising up from the pillowcase.

     “And more so, the pleasure of pouring out the contents onto the rug in the TV room . . . calling for all chocolate products to be immediately quarantined, sorted, and closely guarded, with higher-quality fruit chews and caramels next, then hard candies, and last of all anything organic (the loathsome raisins).  A brief period of barter with my brothers might ensue. For the most part, I simply lay amid my trove and occasionally massed the candy into a pile which I could sort of dive into, à la Scrooge McDuck and his gold ducats.” – Steve Almond

And so are writer’s moments begun.  Happy Halloween – and happy writing – everyone.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment