Popular Posts

Tuesday, January 22, 2019

'Like being a detective'


“I enjoy doing the research of nonfiction; that gives me some pleasure, being a detective again.” – Joseph Wambaugh

Often listed among the greatest crime writers – for both nonfiction AND fiction – Wambaugh was born on this date in 1937.  Growing up in Pittsburgh, PA, the son of a police officer, he joined the U.S. Marines at age 17, served several years in the Corps, then followed his dad into police work, starting with the Los Angeles Police Department. 

In 1971, his first book, The New Centurions, was a critical and financial success, but he continued working as a police officer while writing, winning even more awards and success with his second book, The Blue Knight.   “(But) When I wrote The Onion Field, I realized that my first two novels were just practice,” Wambaugh said.  The Onion Field made me a real writer. And . . . I couldn't be a cop anymore.”     
                            Many of his novels are set in Los Angeles and its surroundings, featuring Los Angeles police officers as protagonists, but his nonfiction books like The Blooding and Fire Lover: A True Story, are set in other parts of the country and England   Wambaugh has been nominated for 4 Edgar awards winning 3, and named a Grand Master by the Mystery Writers of America.  To date he has written 16 novels and 5 nonfiction books, all bestsellers and many winners of numerous awards. 

He said when he writes, he’s very focused.  “I write a thousand words a day,” he said.  “Nothing will stop me, I mean nothing, until the book is finished. I'm disciplined in spite of myself.”



Share A Writers Moment with a friend by clicking the g+ button below

No comments:

Post a Comment