Popular Posts

Friday, June 26, 2020

Quiet ... But Definitely 'Noticed'


“I think the computer is a hindrance to good writing because it is so tempting to leave what you've written. If you use a typewriter, you must retype if you make a mistake, and thus, you must re-examine every word.” – Edith Pearlman

Born in Providence, RI on this date in 1936, Pearlman has written more than 250 works of short fiction and non-fiction for national magazines, literary journals, anthologies, and on-line publications. Her work has appeared in Atlantic Monthly, Smithsonian and the New York Times.   Her work has often been featured in Best American Short Stories, The O. Henry Prize Stories, and New Stories from the South.   She has now written for nearly 8 decades.

Top of Form
“I always loved to read,” she said, “and I wanted to be part of the project of literature. My physical longevity is due to luck, and my literary longevity is due to my physical longevity.” 
Among her collections of short stories are the award-winning How To Fall, Love Among The Greats and Honeydew, chosen as one of Oprah Winfrey’s “Top 19 books to read right now.”

Despite her many accolades she likes to stay in the background.  “It’s very important for a writer to be unnoticed,” she said.  “As quiet and unnoticed as possible.”      “There's no rule I want to break or ever wanted to break.  I find the conventional life gratifying - as long as I can sit at my typewriter, alone, for half a day.”


Share A Writer’s Moment with a friend or forward the link: http://writersmoment.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment