Popular Posts

Friday, August 18, 2023

Writing 'the wonder and the challenges'

 

“Through my writing, I have made new friends and continued to learn about this world of ours in all its wonder, with all its challenges.” – Sonia Levitin

 

Levitin was born in Germany on this date in 1934 and survived the horrors of the Holocaust before beginning her writing career.  She has authored 43 books and 5 plays – primarily for a young adult and children’s audience --   and usually focused on courageous characters who "take charge" in order to overcome difficult challenges and obstacles.

 

Also an artist, her expressionist paintings have been displayed to critical acclaim in numerous art exhibits.  But, of course, it’s her writing that continues to shine – something she determined to do as she recovered from the horrors of World War II.


“When I was only eleven years old, I decided to become a writer,” she said.   “I told this ambition in a letter to Laura Ingalls Wilder (and) the die was cast. How could I go back on my word?”

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment