Popular Posts

Tuesday, February 13, 2024

Putting his audience focus first

 

“I think about my audience when I write, to some extent. Thinking of writing for young adults, I try to keep the stories moving, never a dull moment, to hold their interest.” –  William Sleator

Born on this date in 1945, William Warner Sleator III wrote science fiction for young adults and children.  His highly entertaining books typically follow a “rapid fire” style – a technique that most young readers love but his critics have sometimes blasted.  
  
Born in Maryland and raised in Missouri, Sleator (pronounced Slay-tor) was the son of a scientist and a doctor.   He often liked to intertwine          elements of theoretical science into his works, pitting his young heroes and heroines against some sort of peculiar phenomenon in the process. 

One of 4 children, he often portrayed family relationships and close friendships in his writing. 
 
“My stories,” he said, “develop from both things I read and from my own experiences; and the experiences of people I know.”

No comments:

Post a Comment