Popular Posts

Thursday, February 8, 2024

'Wrapping a good story around it'

 

“I always try to tell a good story, one with a compelling plot that will keep the pages turning. That is my first and primary goal. Sometimes I can tackle an issue - homelessness, tobacco litigation, insurance fraud, the death penalty - and wrap a good story around it.” – John Grisham

 

Born in Mississippi on this date in 1955, Grisham is the bestselling writer, attorney, politician, and activist best known for his popular legal thrillers.  His books have been translated into 42 languages and published worldwide.  Yet, he almost didn’t become a writer.  “Writing was not a childhood dream,” he said.   “I always struggled with how to get started.” 

 

Grisham earned his law degree from the University of Mississippi and had been a lawyer for 5 or 6 years when he tried his hand at writing, inspired by a trial he had witnessed. It became the basis for his first novel, A Time to Kill, which ironically was rejected by 28 publishers before one gave it a chance.  The book – the first of over 50 bestsellers he’s now written – also was made into a feature film.

 

Ten of his books, in fact, have been made into films and another 5 into TV shows or series– a remarkable record.  He said he’s grateful for that because it’s brought a lot more people into touch with his works, since he doesn’t think being a writer in itself made him famous. 

 

 “Quite often I can be in a bookshop, standing beneath a great big picture of myself and paying for a book with a credit card clearly marked John Grisham, yet no one recognizes me. I often say I'm a famous author in a country where no one reads.”

No comments:

Post a Comment