“Songwriting's
a weird game. I never intended to become one - I fell into this by mistake, and
I can't get out of it. It fascinates me. I like to point out the rawer points
of life.” – Keith
Richards
Born in the
London suburb of Dartford on this date in 1943, Richards started life
on the go as his family was temporarily evacuated from their home during the
Nazi bombing and rocket campaign of 1944. In 1951, while
attending primary school, Richards first met and befriended Mick Jagger in what
would not only become a lifetime friendship but also the start of The Rolling Stones, and eventual enshrinement in the Rock and Roll Hall
of Fame.
The pair founded The Rolling Stones as a rhythm and blues and jazz group, although it wasn’t until they changed their style to straight rock in 1964 that they really hit their stride, mostly on songs written by Richards, the biggest (and longest-lasting) hit being Satisfaction. Despite their image as the “anti-Beatles” – a counter to that "other" wildly popular British boy band of the day – “It was a very, very fruitful and great relationship between the Stones and The Beatles. It was very, very friendly,” Richards said.
While
writing music has been his forte’, Richards also wrote two bestselling books,
the memoir Life, and a wonderful children’s tale Gus and
Me: The Story of My Grandad and My First Guitar.
Whether it
be the lyrics for his songs or his books, Richards noted, “I look for
ambiguity when I'm writing, because life
is ambiguous.”
No comments:
Post a Comment