Popular Posts

Monday, February 5, 2018

That 'ghostly' art of writing


“I was an only child who was never really good at anything else. I had no other option. I could write; I wanted to write; I wrote. Otherwise, I was unemployable.” – Susan Hill

Born in Scarborough, England (Yep, that one with the famous Fair) on this date in 1942, Hill chose her profession wisely and has gone on to author numerous works, particularly tales of ghosts and spirits.  In 2012 she was named for the high honor of Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE) by Queen Elizabeth for her long and distinguished services to literature. 


Among Hill’s award-winning novels are the ghost tales The Woman in Black, The Mist in the Mirror, and I'm the King of the Castle, for which she received the acclaimed Somerset Maugham Award.   In recent years she has founded her own press, Long Barn Books, publishing a variety of books and short stories as well as more of her own writings, including some with her popular detective hero Simon Serrailler.

In addition to her many novels, nonfiction books, and short stories, Hill also authored several plays, including some for the Young Adult market.     “I've never written poetry,” she said.  “I'm not a poet, but I think the nearest you get is either the short story or the novella, in that you can't waste a word. There is no hiding place: everything's got to be seen to relate, and the prose counts.”


Share A Writer’s Moment with a friend by clicking the g+1 button below.

No comments:

Post a Comment