Popular Posts

Wednesday, May 23, 2018

For The Pleasure of Writing


“I don't wait for inspiration. I get up and write every day.” – Cathy Marie Buchanan

Born on this date in 1963, Buchanan makes her home in Toronto, Canada after growing up in Niagara Falls, Ontario.  Her stories have appeared in many of Canada’s most respected literary journals, and she has received awards from the Toronto Arts Council, the Ontario Arts Council and the Canada Council for the Arts.

The Day the Falls Stood Still, her debut novel, was a New York Times bestseller and she followed it with the mega-selling The Painted Girls, inspired by both a notorious late-19th century criminal trial and Edgar Degas’ real-life model, Marie van Goethem, who posed for Degas’ masterpiece “Little Dancer Aged Fourteen.”

Buchanan’s writing moves fluidly from one era to another and to subjects that are wide-ranging and always riveting.  “I write to explore something that fascinates me, and I write the way I do because it is the only way I know how to write,” she said.   
                                    “I keep writing because it is deeply pleasurable to me.”



Share A Writer’s Moment with a friend by clicking the g+1 button below.

No comments:

Post a Comment