Popular Posts

Saturday, April 20, 2019

Sharing the Joy of Poetry


“I believe that poetry begins in childhood and that a poet who can remember his own childhood exactly can, and should, communicate to children.” – William Jay Smith

Born in Louisiana in April 1918, Smith was Poet Laureate to the Library of Congress from 1968-70, and Poet-in-Residence at prestigious Williams College for many years.    The author of more than 50 books of poetry for adults and children, including the multiple award-winning children’s book Laughing Time, he was twice honored as a finalist for the National Book Award.  For Saturday’s Poem, here is Smith’s,

The World Below The Window

The geraniums I left last night on the windowsill,
To the best of my knowledge now, are out there still,
And will be there as long as I think they will.

And will be there as long as I think that I
Can throw the window open on the sky,
A touch of geranium pink in the tail of my eye;

As long as I think I see, past leaves green-growing,
Barges moving down a river, water flowing,
Fulfillment in the thought of thought outgoing,

Fulfillment in the sight of sight replying,
Of sound in the sound of small birds southward flying,
In life life-giving, and in death undying.



Share A Writer’s Moment with a friend at http://writersmoment.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment