Popular Posts

Sunday, November 17, 2019

Engaging in the 'Big Conversation'


“I want to write a book that makes people debate, and makes people think, interact with each other and exchange ideas... I write because I'm engaged in this big conversation. – Miguel Syjuco

Born in The Philippines on this date in 1976, Syjuco started his writing career in the early 2000s and has won multiple writing awards, including the Man Asian Literary Prize for his novel Ilustrado.  He also is a contributing opinion writer for the International New York Times, and both his fiction and non-fiction focus on politics, history, inequality, cultural identity, literature, and formal experimentation.  

Currently a Visiting Professor in New York University’s Abu Dhabi writing program, he holds advanced writing degrees from both Columbia University and Australia’s Adelaide University, where he earned a Ph.D. in English Literature.

“I treat my writing like a day job, like my main job, even if for many years I was doing other jobs to pay the bills. I worked as a copy editor. I was a medical guinea pig. I was an eBay power seller of ladies' handbags. I was an assistant to a bookie at the horse races. I bartended. I did anything I could to make ends meet.”


Share A Writer’s Moment with a friend at http://writersmoment.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment