Popular Posts

Saturday, April 11, 2020

It's A 'Worthwhile' Endeavor


“A great many people seem to think writing poetry is worthwhile, even though it pays next to nothing and is not as widely read as it should be.” – Mark Strand

Born on Prince Edward Island on this date in1934, Strand grew up near the famed “Green Gables” home of fellow Island writer Lucy Maud Montgomery.  After high school he migrated to the U.S., earning degrees at Antioch College, Yale, and Iowa and studied on a Fulbright Scholarship in Italy.   The author of numerous poetry collections, he also wrote 2 books of prose, several translations and monographs, and 3 books for children.    Among his best-known poetry works are Almost Invisible; Man and Camel; and Blizzard of One, which won the Pulitzer Prize in 1999. 

Poet laureate of the United States in 1990-91, he served as a Chancellor of the Academy of American Poets from 1995-2000.  For Saturday’s Poem, here is Strand’s,

                             Keeping Things Whole

In a field
I am the absence
of field.
This is
always the case.
Wherever I am
I am what is missing.

When I walk
I part the air
and always
the air moves in
to fill the spaces
where my body's been.

We all have reasons
for moving.
I move
to keep things whole.

Share A Writer’s Moment with a friend at http://writersmoment.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment