Popular Posts

Sunday, February 5, 2023

'A new world for every reader'

 

“Every reader re-creates a novel - in their own imagination, anyway. It's only entirely the writer's when nobody else has read it.”  – Susan Hill

Born on this date in 1942, Hill is an English author of “mostly ghost stories.” Among her works are The Woman in Black, The Mist in the Mirror, and I'm the King of the Castle, for which she received the Somerset Maugham Award – a really cool award that can only be used for foreign travel to do more writing research.  

Hill has won a number of awards and honors, including being named a Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE) for services to literature. 

 
 
 For terrific crime mysteries with an infused “chill” factor, I highly recommend her "Detective Simon Serrailler" series.  
 
She said she was born to be a writer.  “I was never really good at anything else.   I had no other option.  I could write; I wanted to write; I wrote.  Otherwise, I was unemployable.” 





No comments:

Post a Comment