Popular Posts

Saturday, February 11, 2023

'Writing, Publishing - two separate things'

 

“I always tell students that writing a poem and publishing it are two quite separate things, and you should write what you have to write, and if you're afraid it's going to upset someone, don't publish it.” – Wendy Cope

British author Cope, born in 1945, has attracted a popular following with her lighthearted poetry, as well as achieving literary credibility by winning two major writing awards.   She has a keen eye for everyday, mundane aspects of life, especially the desires, frustrations, hopes, confusions and emotions in intimate relationships.   
 
A much sought-after presenter at workshops and  classrooms, she writes for – and speaks – to both children and adult audiences. For Saturday’s Poem and in honor of this coming Tuesday, here is Cope’s,

 Valentine 

 

My heart has made its mind up

And I’m afraid it’s you.

 

Whatever you’ve got lined up

My heart has made its mind up

And if you can’t be signed up

This year, next year will do.

 

My heart has made its mind up

                                                  And I’m afraid it’s you.     

 

No comments:

Post a Comment