“I just
love writing. It's magical, it's somewhere else to go, it's somewhere much more
dreadful, somewhere much more exciting. Somewhere I feel I belong, possibly
more than in the so-called real world.” – Tanith Lee
Born in
London in September of 1947, Lee authored nearly 100 novels, 300 short stories,
1 children's picture book (Animal Castle), and many poems. She also
wrote two episodes of the BBC science fiction series Blake's 7 and was
the first woman to win the British Fantasy Award’s best novel for her book Death's
Master – the second in her “Flat Earth” series.
Vibrant and
exotic are often words used by critics when describing her writing but perhaps
the best thing that might be said about her style is that it can’t be
categorized. Thus, she attracted a broad
readership for her works.
Lee, who
died of breast cancer in 2015, said that while her own vivid imagination shaped
her writing style, she also was influenced by writers “across the board . . . by
many.” In 2024 Lee was honored by
the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers Association (SFWA) with their Infinity
Award, which posthumously honors creators who died before they could be
considered for the organization’s coveted Grand Master Award.
“At an
early school, when I was about 5, they asked what we wanted to be when we grew
up. Everyone said silly things, and I said I wanted to be an actress. So that
was what I wanted to be. But what I was, of course, was a writer.”
No comments:
Post a Comment