Popular Posts

Wednesday, September 30, 2026

'Those stories behind the truth'

 

“I can't speak for readers in general, but personally I like to read stories behind which there is some truth, something real and above all, something emotional. I don't like to read essays on literature; I don't like to read critical or rational or impersonal or cold disquisitions on subjects.” – Laura Esquivel

 

Born in Mexico City on this date in 1950, Esquivel wrote the worldwide bestselling novel and award-winning screenplay Like Water for Chocolate.  The book is the all-time bestselling novel in Mexico and the film the winner of more than two dozen international awards.   It was the first of 10 novels for Esquivel, whose latest is the Spanish language My Black Past. 

 

Also noted for her essays on life, love and food – based on the culture of Mexico but resonating around the globe – Esquivel’s compilation of many of her best were published in another huge bestselling book Between Two Fires.   She characterizes the kitchen as the most important part of the house; “a pleasurable source of knowledge and understanding.” 

 

When asked if she likes fiction or film better, she leaned into fiction.


“In film you can use images exclusively and narrate a whole story very quickly, but you don't always so easily find the form in cinema to dig deeper into human thoughts and emotions,” she explained.  “In a novel you can much more easily express a character's inner thoughts and feelings.”

No comments:

Post a Comment