Popular Posts

Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Worth a thousand words


“I think many times news organizations, whether it's for lack of resources or something else, cover the headlines and don't follow up, even though the story continues for the people living there - they can't leave. I think it's critical that they do these follow-up stories to realize that there is still suffering, and the need is dire.” – Carol Guzy

Born on this date in 1956, Guzy has had a stellar career in both documenting the headlines and doing follow-up reporting as a news photographer.  Working for The Washington Post, she has won a remarkable 4 Pulitzer Prizes —one of only 4 people to do so, and the only journalist with that achievement.              
                                                                                 
The first woman to win the “Newspaper Photographer of the Year” Award from the National Press Photographers Association, Guzy didn’t start out hoping to be a news photographer.  In fact, this Bethlehem, PA, native planned to be a nurse.  Then someone handed her a camera and the rest, as they say…

“The nursing program gave me more than a degree,” she said.  “It helped me gain an understanding of human suffering and an incredible sensitivity to it. I know that without this background, my photography would have a totally different edge.”  With it, she’s brought us up close and personal to images of both anguish and joy.

“When I'm photographing, I think - like any rescue worker who deals with tragedy - you have to have some protective barrier around your heart so you can do your job,” she said. “You tend to have a delayed reaction to things. I feel things more deeply after I put the camera down.”   

And seeing her images, the world does too.

View Guzy’s remarkable photos at:  


Share A Writer’s Moment with a friend by clicking the g+1 button below.

No comments:

Post a Comment