Popular Posts

Saturday, June 1, 2019

Endowing Each Word With Life



“When the poet makes his perfect selection of a word, he is endowing the word with life.” – John Drinkwater
  Born in England on this date in 1882, Drinkwater was not only a poet but also a playwright and critic, a typical “man of letters” of the Georgian age of the 1910s and 1920s.  He also is noted for being one of the first poets to record both his own works and those of other poets and authors of the day, beginning as early as 1906. 

For Saturday’s Poem, here are Drinkwater’s famed “Sun,” and his clever children's favorite, “Washing.”
                 Sun
I told the Sun that I was glad,
I'm sure I don't know why;
Somehow the pleasant way he had
Of shining in the sky,
Just put a notion in my head
That wouldn't it be fun
If, walking on the hill, I said
"I'm happy" to the Sun.


Washing

What is all this washing about,
Every day, week in, week out?
From getting up till going to bed,
I'm tired of hearing the same thing said.
Whether I'm dirty or whether I'm not.
Whether the water is cold or hot,
Whether I like or whether I don't,
Whether I will or whether I won't,
  "Have you washed your hands, and washed your face?"

I seem to live in the washing-place.
Whenever I go for a walk or ride,
As soon as I put my nose inside
The door again, there's some one there
With a sponge and soap, and a lot they care
If I have something better to do,
 "Now wash your face and your fingers too."

Before a meal is ever begun,
And after ever a meal is done,
It's time to turn on the waterspout,

Please, what is all this washing about?


Writer’s Moment with a friend at http://writersmoment.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment