Popular Posts

Tuesday, June 4, 2019

Life Experiences Into Words


“I believe that imagination is stronger than knowledge. That myth is more potent than history. That dreams are more powerful than facts. That hope always triumphs over experience. That laughter is the only cure for grief. And I believe that love is stronger than death.” – Robert Fulghum

Fulghum – author of the mega-bestseller Everything I Needed To Know I Learned in Kindergarten – was born this date in 1937 in Waco, Tex.   He speaks and writes from his many life experiences which have included work as a ditch-digger, newspaper carrier, ranch hand, IBM salesman, singing cowboy … and being a child.    It was my great good fortune to spend a day with this interesting and thoughtful writer, serving as his host and driver when he came to speak at a college where I worked.

I remember vividly how he walked out in front of a boistrous crowd of about 1,000 students and held up his hands saying “Anyone here know this song?”  Then he began humming the tune to “Itsy Bitsy Spider” while making the climbing up the waterspout movements.  Within seconds nearly every student had stopped talking and started either singing or humming while making the spider climbing movements with their own hands.  They were mesmerized by his actions, and shortly after by his words.   
                                       Fulghum told me he started writing to further share thoughts and ideas he utilized in his current “day job,” which was being a minister. “I think,” he said in his understated manner, “my writing is part of my ministry.”


Writer’s Moment with a friend at http://writersmoment.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment