Popular Posts

Saturday, December 19, 2020

Beautiful Words For Posterity

 On a snowy early winter morning across much of the nation, this Robert Frost poem seems like an apropos selection for Saturday's Poem.  Ironically, Frost actually wrote the poem on an early June morning after working all night on the main poem for his Pulitzer Prize winning book of poems, New Hampshire


After the long night at his desk, he went outdoors to view the sunrise and instead, clearly saw (in his mind) the scene that became this poem.  One of his all-time best, it gave us a line for the lexicon - "And miles to go before I sleep."
  For Saturday's Poem here is,
  
                          

                Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening

                           

                         Whose woods these are I think I know.

                         His house is in the village though.

                         He will not see me stopping here

                         To watch his woods fill up with snow.

 

My little horse must think it queer

To stop without a farmhouse near

Between the woods and frozen lake

The darkest evening of the year.

                       

He gives his harness bells a shake

To ask if there is some mistake.

The only other sound’s the sweep

Of easy wind and downy flake.

  

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.

But I have promises to keep.

And miles to go before I sleep,

And miles to go before I sleep.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment