Popular Posts

Saturday, June 19, 2021

'Poetry and Music . . . Good Friends'

“Poetry and music are very good friends. Like mommies and daddies and strawberries and cream - they go together.”  Nikki Giovanni


Born in June of 1943, Giovanni is a renowned poet and essayist who has taught at Queens College, Rutgers, and Ohio State and is currently a University Distinguished Professor at Virginia Tech.   Her poetry has ranged from the somber, such as the chant-poem she delivered at the memorial for the Virginia Tech shooting victims, to thoughtful and whimsical, such as today’s short poem. 
 
 For Saturday’s Poem, here is Giovanni’s: 
 
                        

I wrote a good omelet

 

                                          I wrote a good omelet...and ate

a hot poem... after loving you
Buttoned my car...and drove my
coat home...in the rain...
after loving you
I goed on red...and stopped on
green...floating somewhere in between...
being here and being there...
after loving you
I rolled my bed...turned down
my hair...slightly
confused but...I don't care...
Laid out my teeth...and gargled my
gown...then I stood
...and laid me down...
To sleep...
after loving you.

 

 

Share A Writer’s Moment with friends

Writersmoment.blogspot.com/

 

No comments:

Post a Comment