Popular Posts

Tuesday, September 15, 2026

'Small door; enormous room'

 

“A picture book is a small door to the enormous world of the visual arts, and they're often the first art a young person sees.” – Tomie dePaola

  

Born in Meridian, CT on this date in 1934, dePaola created more than 200 children's books, authoring works ranging from his famous Strega Nona series to memoirs, legends, folk tales and religion.   He was honored for his lifetime contribution to American children’s literature with the prestigious Laura Ingalls Wilder Award and also was a several-time finalist for the international Hans Christian Andersen Award.   He died in 2020.

 

DePaola studied to be an art teacher, earning several degrees. in art while teaching at a number of colleges and universities.  But, after his books became successful, he left the teaching world in 1978 to concentrate full time on his adopted profession.   His lush artistic style earned him legions of followers – kids and their parents alike.   And, he also earned accolades for his fine art, creating numerous significant pieces that are displayed at museums and religious centers around the country.

 

DePaola credits his family with encouraging his development as an artist and influencing the themes of his works. 

 

 “I remember feeling guilty that I had a good childhood,” he said. “I thought everybody who is famous had to have a desperate childhood and work his way out of it, but I had a great one.”

No comments:

Post a Comment