Popular Posts

Friday, May 3, 2019

No Complainin' Here


“Why do people talk of the horrors of old age?  It’s great.  I feel like a fine old car with the parts gradually wearing out, but I’m not complaining.” – Martha Gellhorn

So, today I’m having another birthday, my 72nd, and still doing pretty good, and like Martha Gellhorn and my dad always used to say when asked that inevitable question, “How ya doing?” would simply respond “Can’t complain.”

And, one thing I look forward to doing each day is some writing.  I’m grateful that I was granted the ability and opportunity to put my thoughts, observations and actions down on paper or into a computer so that another person somewhere might have the chance to read those words and have a reaction to them.  It’s a pretty cool exchange and one of those things that make having “writers’ moments” worthwhile. 
                                                 I agree wholeheartedly, too, with a statement by Amy Tan who, when asked why she writes, said:  “I write because I know that one day I will die, and thus I should experience as many deliberate observations, careful thoughts, wild ideas, and deep emotions as I can before that day occurs.”

Me too.  So far, so good, and “can’t complain.”




Share A Writer’s Moment with a friend at http://writersmoment.blogspot.com           

No comments:

Post a Comment