Popular Posts

Friday, September 5, 2014

Persistence: A key writing attribute



Author Marlane Kennedy is a great example of never giving up on either your dream or the belief in your own writing.  She said that as a child growing up in the tiny Appalachian community of Dailyville, Ohio, she would proudly tell people she would be “an author” when she grew up, “But it took me a very long time to realize my dream.” 

As an adult, after working in other fields and starting her own family, she still dreamed of being a children’s book author.    “I took my little ones to the library often, and daydreamed about what it would be like to see a book I wrote on the library shelves. Unfortunately, that’s all I did for a few years. Dream! Finally, it dawned on me that nothing would ever happen unless I started to buckle down and write. So write I did!” 
  
After 14 years of writing, revising, submitting manuscripts, and receiving tons of rejections, her first book, Me and the Pumpkin Queen, was published in 2007.   Now the author of six successful children’s books, she said she’s glad she finally tried and never gave up. “Because to me, creating stories happens to be the best job in the world.”  Check out Marlane Kennedy’s website at http://marlanekennedy.com/site/about-me/

Happy reading and … of course … writing.


Share A Writer's Moment with others by clicking on the +1 button below 

No comments:

Post a Comment